Since festivals are all about food (and gluttony), what are the basic tips to ensure you enjoy the festival without gaining too much weight and staying healthy?
The festive seasons are soon approaching around the corner and everyone is gearing up in the celebration mood. One of the most important aspect on which the Indian sentiments and the culture depends are the envious spread of sweets, snacks, and other indulgent recipes. It is perfectly normal for an average person to put on extra bulges in the unwanted places.
These fat bulges add up year after year, making festivity weight gain an important factor in adult obesity.
But with a little bit of planning, we can ensure healthy eating during festival. It is definitely possible to enjoy goodies without putting on a single pound.
Here are few tips to maintain the weight while enjoying the festivities.
- Indulge in physical activity: With all the festive shopping, parties, traveling it would definitely be difficult to be fit and maintain the exercise. But hitting to gym, going for a brisk walk, playing some sport even for just 20 mins would compensate for the extra pound you would be putting on that day in the party.
- Never go empty stomach in parties: Be smart and opt for slowly digestive foods like brown rice, oatmeal and nuts that will increase the energy levels gradually and maintain it for a long time. You can have a light snack/ nutritious snack at home so that over indulgence can be avoided.
- Stay Hydrated: Increase on water intake to avoid unnecessary excessive intake of alcohol or soft drinks. Have a glass a water whenever you have hunger pangs. Have lots of fruits and vegetable to avoid having upset tummy.
- Opt for healthy options: Healthy intake during festivals is difficult but not impossible. Following are few options that can be tried,
- Opt for grilled items than the fried foodstuff.
- Opt for multigrain flour for sweets preparation than the maida/all purpose flour
- Any items as tandoor or roasted should be preferred.
- Try eating mindfully, not mindlessly. Have just one or two bites more to satisfy the taste buds. Then stop. Any more is mostly not required.
- Eat at regular intervals healthy meals.
- Fruits salads or flavored / sweetened yogurt as a sweet dish should be more preferred
- Try to cut down before the occasions. : Make a smart move before the occasions start, keep low on the diet side. Start cutting down on fatty food, sugar and carbs at least 6-7 days before the festive seasons start so that you end up losing good amount of pounds before and it wouldn’t matter if you happen to put few during the occasions.
How to get rid of the holiday weight easily and in a healthy manner.
- Keep it gradual: Yes, you must have put on lot of weight in a short period during festive time but make it a point not to fasten up the reduction plan. It might make you tired and hungrier. Don’t set unrealistic or too big goals for yourself. And moreover if you happen to lose weight that fast it is usually the muscle mass or water you might lose and not the unwanted fat.
Set a goal, understand how much weight you need to lose and then frame a plan according to your age, your current weight and your overall health condition. Take assistance of your healthcare provider to be on the safe line.
- Simple Tips:
- Start your day with a glass of water with lemon
- . Have a healthy proportion of breakfast keeping in mind low sugar and no fats and carbs.
- Get out in the fresh air and go for a light jog or any activity for 30 minutes. Eat a freshly cooked lunch of simple food.
- Have an evening snack of a handful of nuts.
- Keep dinners light, some soups or salads or Sprouts preparation. Have a good sleep of 6 hours.
- Avoid starving yourself since it is not going to work, the key to lose weight is not deprivation but moderation.
- Smart substitutes helps :
- Opt for nutritious low-calorie alternatives to sugary, high-fatty foods
- Try frozen yogurts instead of sweets/desserts
- Use broken wheat preparation instead of rice.
- Keep fruits and veggies the focus of your meals to add fiber, vitamins A and C and folate
- Stay hydrated. Green teas are the best option you can try for Detox.
- Opting for healthier substitutes also would improve your overall health.